I certainly don’t look like one who frequents art exhibitions or joins art tours.
However, today I managed to overcome my anti- art exhibition. I went to the Art Stage Singapore 2014 at Marina Bay Sands Expo Hall and spent two hours admiring the amazing art pieces. It was full of unique artworks from all over the world in various kind of art mediums. I am even googling about the artists and their artworks after leaving the exhibition.
This is quite unlike me, as in fact, I dislike going to art exhibition.
Top 10 reasons for anti- art exhibitions/galleries/museum:
- Make me fill with negative feelings. My impression of art exhibitions – a place that displays paintings on dark topics like war, anxiety, poverty, violence, anger, paradox and etc. Wouldn’t want to spoil my good weekend with all these dark emotional thoughts.
- Expensive. Don’t even have enough money for my everyday essentials, how to go for luxurious hobby of art appreciation.
- Do not allow photo-taking. I have a memory of a goldfish. Can’t remember what I seen after I step out of the art gallery. Moreover, I can’t share the photos of my favourite pieces with my friends.
- Boring. Walk around a maze to stare at the artworks. Full stop.
- Feel clueless. In two ways – don’t understand what the artwork is about, don’t know where and when are the exhibitions.
- Tiring. Eventually, it is a learning experience. Almost like having an art and literature exam. Memorising some of the artists’ style and art jargons so to appreciate the essence of the exhibition.
- Lack of companion. No one around me seems to love or at least like to visit art exhibitions.
- Overly helpful ushers and curators. Perhaps they have a lot to share but I really don’t know how to answer their questions. What do you think of this painting? Can you see what the artist is trying to convey? How do you feel about the contrast of the object against the negative space?
- Bad experience. I remember how my teachers love to bring the classes to exhibitions with the intention of assigning homework in a form of art journal, quiz, essays and inspired artwork.
- Earning $$$. Art museums/galleries/exhibitions look like very high class but actually they are also as money-minded as you and I. More like a place to woo visitors to buy their souvenirs, art magazine subscription and partnership/ sponsorship products. How to appreciate art without breaking pockets!
The photo below will reveal my biggest reason for attending this art exhibition.
It is FREE!
Nothing beats free ticket. Thank to my beloved colleague who gotten it free from someone else. (Actually she and the someone else also don’t visit art exhibition.)
Another important reason was that so coincidence I was near the venue after my morning work. And lastly, it allows photography. Yeah!
See the summary below on how I spent my two hours in the exhibition.
Too bad the only down part was that I FORGOT to bring my memory card. So many artworks yet only so little internal memory space.
Does my gallery of photos pique your interest? Do visit tomorrow (19th Jan 2014) at Marina Bay Sands as it is the last day. Tickets are priced at $33. Full-time student, NSFs and senior citizens can enjoy a concession price of $11. Opening hours start from 11am to 6pm. Art tour schedules are 12pm, 2pm and 4pm. More information can be found at their official site. Do drop me a message if you have been or going to the exhibition.
PS: Anyone shares the same feeling when thinking of art exhibitions? Do leave your opinion too!
>>>>> Thanks for visiting! <<<<<